Sunday, December 16, 2007

Hunt for the Perfect Tree

At the beginning of this month (yeah, I'm a little behind), I was itching to go get our Christmas tree. The year Kevin and I got married, we started the tradition of going to a tree farm about 40 minutes from St. Louis, riding out on the wagon to the fields and find the perfect tree. I look forward to it every year, and I was SO excited that it would be Ainsley's first year to come with us! I like to get the tree as quickly after Thanksgiving as possible, so I decided this was probably the only weekend that we could do it. Saturday's weather forecast was rain all day. Feeling some anxiety, I hoped and wished that Sunday would clear up. Late Saturday night, I checked the forecast - clear for Sunday! We excitedly put on our clothes Sunday morning and get packed up for the car when Kevin checks the weather again - rain starting in the morning. I decide we'll take our chances, and we set off in the car. Forty-five minutes later, we get to the farm, where the sky looks ominously dark. We stop in the tree farm gift shop for a potty break and to say hello to Santa. Reiley was lured over to Santa by his candy canes, but declined a seat on his lap. (Notice Ainsley's "Don't think about touching me" face)

As we leave Santa to head out the door, we see and hear torrential rain falling. Drenched families sprint into the gift shop. We and other farm-goers try to wait out the storm. After 25 minutes, it's still raining and we're getting hungry. I try to swallow my disappointment as we drive to the nearest McDonald's to eat and wait out the storm. Some burgers and chicken nuggets later, it's still raining. We make the decision to head home and get a tree at a Christmas tree lot near our house (so so so sad). Feeling disappointment at this less-than-ideal turn of events, I try to explain the new plan to Reiley, who readily accepts it, while I sit in the front seat wiping away tears. (Yes, I realize this is slightly pathetic as I am 26 :-). ) Kevin, being ever so patient with me, tries to comfort me through my ridiculousness on the ride home. We arrive at the tree lot where it is now FREEZING. Do we look like we're having fun?
Ainsley's face being pummeled with wind. Staying dry in the car while awesome Daddy ties the tree to the top of the car. Everyone toughed it out so that Mommy could get her tree. It makes me realize that at Christmas (and every day) I am grateful to have a family that accepts and loves all of me (even the obsessively crazy parts!) I hope you are all having a loving holiday season!

No comments: