Saturday, July 11, 2009

Fishing Fun

My plan of more frequent posting hasn't panned out - maybe because we've been too busy with the fun of summer! Early in the summer we took the girls on their first fishing trip with my parents. "Trip" really just means a short drive to Tilles Park, which has a great shady pond with many ducks and geese to keep us entertained.

My dad talked through all of the steps of preparing your rod with Reiley. She was very serious and concentrated on the whole endeavor. Reiley really wanted to catch a fish and wanted to ensure that she was doing things the "right" way.
Ainsley sat in the chair and spent about 90 seconds jabbing the water with her pole before she got up to chase the ducks around. And just where did the gals get their awesome camo hats, you may ask? My dad (who works in sales) picked these up from a client and deemed them as the perfect fishing hats. The girls loved them!

Here's Ainsley with some of our duck friends. This might have been about the time that Ainsley decided that the ducks were a little too friendly for her comfort. Unfortunately, Mommy (ever the animal enthusiast) made the mistake of encouraging the girls to feed the ducks their leftover bagels when we first got to the lake.
That may have been why the gang of ducks and geese trailed us the entire time. Reiley was unphased by the distractions and waited for a bite (with a few near-catches) for two whole hours! I was pretty impressed with her patience. We didn't get a catch on this outing, but we learned what fishing was all about.Sawyer took a little snooze during the trip, and then played happily on the blanket. He loves to be outside!

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Aww, this trip looks like so much fun! The first time I went fishing was with my Grandpa (and Grandma!) too. Kevin came, I wonder if that was his first time? I hope some of Lucy's first time things get to happen with you guys and her Grammi and Paddy!

Elijah said...

Grandpa really enjoyed that trip! I enjoyed this blog entry too. Thanks for posting it!

Unknown said...

I think grandpas are better fishing teachers than dads. Or maybe my dad just mellowed out as he became a g'pa. My dad made us get up before sunrise to go fishing (because that's when the fish are hungriest) and stay completely still and silent (so we wouldn't scare the fish away). It wasn't fun. When he took grandkids, it was daytime and he let them talk.

Brian Weidner said...

I like Sawyer's shirt. Looks like a great afternoon.