Wednesday, February 13, 2008

First Annual Kid's Day

Reiley was reminiscing about what we did last Father's Day, which got us talking about the purpose of Father's and Mother's Day. I said that I was glad there was a day that we could celebrate what a great Daddy we have. To which Reiley replied, "and I'm glad that on Mother's Day we can celebrate what a great Mommy you are!" Of course, in that one moment, all memories of sleepless nights, toddler screaming tantrums, and hits on a baby sister vanished as a I basked in the glow of my 3 year-old angel daughter. Then the conversation shifted. Reiley says "I wish that there was a Kid Day, so that we could celebrate what I great kid I am."

Kid Day was born.

After I informed Reiley that we would also be celebrating Ainsley's "kid greatness" (which prompted a brief look of doubt), we got to event planning. First order of business: plan a delicious breakfast chosen by the honored individual. Reiley's choice? A chocolate long john that was far too big for a 3 year old, which resulted in a slight tummy ache ("It's kind of interesting, Mom, because my doughnut feels like it's coming back up my throat." Yes, Reiley, that's why we talk about 'listening to our bodies'). Second task: planning the family outing. Reiley's choice was Faust Park: home of the Butterfly House, World's Fair Carousel, and awesome playground. Here we are in the Butterfly House (very pretty, but feels like a sauna, which means Reiley wants to stay in there for about 3 minutes max). A butterfly landed on Ainsley and she promptly tried to squish him (too quickly to get a picture).

It's a Heffern Family Sandwich on the carousel.
Beating the winter blahs on the playground.

The last must of Kid Day was again food-centered: LUNCH. We chose noodles and company because nary a Heffern can resist noodles and meat with yummy sauce. Here's Ainsley palling around with Dora ("Dora-dora-dora" as she would say).
I think an annual event has been established, and I for one had a really fun day celebrating the "greatness" of my children.

No comments: