Friday, February 22, 2008

The Hills Are Alive...

and I'm sure you know with what. These hills of music have created an obsession in our house. It started innocently. The Sound of Music was my favorite childhood movie, so I found a few of the movie songs on YouTube and showed them to Reiley. I filled in the plotline since the movie is WAY too long to hold Reiley's attention (a Dora episode is about the most she can do). We continued to watch the YouTube clips once a day (because though Mommy loves the Sound of Music, once a day is about as much as she can handle). Then Reiley got the soundtrack for Christmas, and our days began to involve more of the VonTrapp family. Day by day, the invasion grew larger. At this point, Reiley has a full-on prebuscent crush on Kurt VonTrapp (yes, a fictional character who is actually now a 50 year old man). We pretend-play weddings to Kurt in which she is pretending to be Maria marrying Kurt (it's a little incestual - but we're not going into that). When she's not marrying Kurt, she (as Maria), and the stuffed animals (as the children) have elaborate schemes of taking naps and playing in the park. She, Ainsley, and I pretend daily that we are running to the Abbey so that we can hide from the "mean soldiers" (which I realize is an understatement for Nazi soldiers, but genocide is another one of those "hard-for-a-three-old" topics). I know Rogers and Hammerstein couldn't have intended to infiltrate my home with rhyme and music. The music I can handle, but Reiley's suggestion that we should have seven kids so that we can be like Maria - well, that's just taking it too far.



Here's Kevin (directed by Reiley) playing the role of Captain Van Trapp singing "Edelweiss" with Leisel (played by Reiley).




No comments: