Sunday, May 3, 2009

"Sawyer Got Baptismed!"

This was Ainsley's jubilant exclamation after we finally had Sawyer baptized last weekend (at nearly 6 months old - he could have sat in and filled up the baptismal font:-)). Older babies can also make ridiculously silly faces at the priest during their baptisms, which is humerous for all. I think God smiled too.
Sawyer's godparents are Kevin's brother, Mike, and his wife, Kali. My dad served as the reader, Kevin's mom read the petitions, and Kevin's dad sang a special prayer. It was such a blessing to have our family surrounding Saywer as we asked God to lead him through this life.
I have found each of my children's baptisms to be profoundly powerful because it allows me to reflect on the importance of motherhood, and the overwhelming responsibilty God gives us to help shape our children into loving, compassionate, and moral individuals. It reminds me that the repetitive tasks that fill my days of caring for little children (diaper changing, feeding, laundry, song-singing, scrape-kissing) are a reflection of the care that the Father gives to me. Through these tasks, I show my children how to love and care for others, and to be loved and cared for in return. I am comforted knowing that though the days are long and the appreciation is unspoken by little voices, God sees and knows the weight of the work I am doing. May I strive to meet His expectations, and never underestimate the impact that the seeming minutia of my days can make.

2 comments:

Krista said...

That post was like a mother's prayer. A good reminder for me and all the moms out there. Thanks, Jen.

Brian Weidner said...

Nice post. Congratulations to Sawyer.